Claire- lighting

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Claire- lighting
  • From: "Laurie A.E. O'Meara" <Laurie@LAEOM.COM>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:03:31 -0400

Hi Everyone :)

Claire , you wrote:
 "I use halogen lights now as they both light and heat the the
conservatory space.  Many of them bloom all winter."

Did you at any point used fluorescents?  I have plant stands with regular
cool white/shop light tubes.  I have often wondered if the halogen or even
HID lighting would be better, although many of my plants bloom all winter.
I do get paler leaves though, and etoliation in some varieties unless they
are very close to the lights.  Do you have the halogen bulbs in conventional
fixtures, or do they come in a separate ballast set-up like HID's?

I went to the website SilverHill Seeds- what a place! I am thrilled with the
different seeds they carry- I am going back to check on the phytocert, etc.

My brother's in western MA- He may know of Blue Meadow, and maybe could save
me a trip - if it's an hour from you, it must not be too far from him- I
haven't heard of Montague but I'll find it and call first, etc.- and I know
someone at CT C& S, I'll see what they know of- thanks again for all the
leads.

Laurie

Laurie A.E. O'Meara
Artist and Horticulturist