Re: Claire- lighting

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Claire- lighting
  • From: Claire Peplowski <ECPep@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:36:41 EDT

In a message dated 6/12/02 1:18:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Laurie@LAEOM.COM
writes:

<< Did you at any point used fluorescents?  I have plant stands with regular
 cool white/shop light tubes.  I have often wondered if the halogen or even
 HID lighting would be better, although many of my plants bloom all winter.
 I do get paler leaves though, and etoliation in some varieties unless they
 are very close to the lights.  Do you have the halogen bulbs in conventional
 fixtures, or do they come in a separate ballast set-up like HID's? >>

Yes, we did use fluorescents but they required hanging in long spaces or
stacking up and the glassed room did not look good and I could not see the
plants.

We still have one strip for plants that need help or are ailing in some way.
The plants are right up to and nearly touching the light tubes, seem to need
than. The fluorescents need to be one around 16/18 hours a day to be
effective.

The halogens were explained and demonstrated to me by a lighting supplier and
installed by my husband.  There are two strips of them across the ceiling
plus roof windows across the entire ceiling and glassed walls on two sides.

They are "cans" on tracks that can be pushed around and also directed in any
direction toward any plant or groups of plants.  I think there are twelve
fixtures in all.  They are wide arc lights as opposed to one beam. When all
on, I can put on four at a time, it is like a day at the beach.

I did not consider HID's for some reasons that I can't remember.  The
lighting people were familiar with lighting for plants.  And, when you do the
installation yourself, the the cost is not high.   They set up the tracks in
the the warehouse and measured the light.  I am from a family of contractors
so maybe I was more insistent as a shopper.

Sometimes in Nov-Dec-Jan, I leave the entire bunch on for around fourteen
hours a day.  It is the nicest place in the house, about like flying to some
island.  You really don't need to to that but I decided if I was going to use
the lights for plants then I would install enough the first time.

In greenhouses in the North, include Logee's most interesting place in
there, some etoliation takes place in the dark months no matter how much
glass we have.  We have a great many short days and those are grey and
clouded over.

With our lights we can keep healthy all these very small pelargoniums, a few
species and bloom plants such as Plumbago auriculata, Abutilon 'Moonchimes'
and one year I grew a nasturtium as a trial and it bloomed well with a
reasonably compact plant.

I also have a bunch of bulbs and do not want bloomstalks twice as high as
normal, the lights help there also.

Yoy can buy all kinds of ways to install halogens and many people like HID's
so the selection is very difficult.  Halogens produce some heat so that needs
to be taken into consideration if in a living area.  They also use various
sizes of bulbs, the smallest ones being not very useful.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4
USA