Re: Bird Dancer

  • Subject: Re: Bird Dancer
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 16:33:58 -0600

It wouldn't surprise me if that's an example of what the big wholesale
suppliers are doing with old varieties: tissue-culturing  'virus-free'
clones that they can claim as 'new' cultivars (because they are working
with 'new' material) and thereby patent them as such according to the
letter (if not spirit) of the plant-patenting laws which are quite complex.
You'll see more and more of these well-known older cultivars on the market,
usually with an altered name, and even those of contemporary breeders (Faye
Brawner has had at least one of her hybrids 'stolen' and re-marketed).

There are two kinds of plant patents: regular plant patents that protect
material from being reproduced asexually (cuttings), and utility patents
which prevent anyone from using the protected plant in any breeding
program.  Oglevee is one of the big laboratory/brokers in the horticultural
business.  There should be a tag on the plant stating that it is patented,
if you look for it.

Maria