Unnamed at Wal-Mart

  • Subject: Unnamed at Wal-Mart
  • From: Barry Roth <barry_roth@YAHOO.COM>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 19:36:47 -0700

I have seen some very attractive but unnamed zonals at nurseries and home centers this year.  Most recently I was thrilled to pick up a couple of single, diploid, "painted lady" varieties (that is, ones with a large white center blending to a fully pigmented edge).  I like them for themselves, but also for their potential in one of my breeding projects.  The only labels stated sagely, "Geranium."  I doubt that I'll ever learn the name, if any, that their poppa and momma gave them; I'll just assign them a number to reference them in my notebooks and enjoy 'em for what they are.

maria guzman <mirror@3RIVERS.NET> wrote:
Last month I bought two nameless pellies from WalMart (just labeled
"geranium"), both compact with very dark rather leathery leaves. One has
shapeless fuschia/purple blossoms, blobby but with enormous, semi-double
petals of an intense shade. The other has brilliant, almost neon,
reddish-orange flowers, also with large single petals. I've been crossing
these with my own hybrids (the WalMarters seem to be only pollen donors)
and am awaiting results. Has anybody seen these in WalMart or any other
mass outlet?

Do you Yahoo!?