Ballerina, hardy geranium?

  • Subject: Ballerina, hardy geranium?
  • From: ECPep@AOL.COM
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:50:17 EDT

In a message dated 6/24/04 7:05:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
drsnooks@BUFFNET.NET writes:

> Could someone please tell me whatever is known, or a place to find out
> about ---> G. 'Ballerina'

Would this be the true Geranium 'Ballerina", a hybrid of a hardy outdoor

If so, it grows here as a rock garden plant.  Look up the Alpine-L site and
check their huge archive.  You do not need to be a member of the list to check
the archive.  There is always more info there than you could want.

Ballerina is a small plant doing well for two years or so and then needing
dividing and replanting.  It grows well in sharply drained soil with some rocks
either around it or in the planting hole.  Use something limey, it does not do
well in low pH soil.  For me, zone 4, there will be a big bloom year and then
a lesser year.  Then I divide and replant.  All of these small geraniums are
fussy in that they must not dry out yet are not happy in rich moist soil.
Also they need full sun.   This spring has been a good bloom year for hardy
geraniums.  I really do not know why.

Claire Peplowski
NYS zone 4