Re: [IGS] Sarcocaulon question

>Ingrid,
>
>Your question:
>> I have added some coir to my C&S mix, any thoughts on this?
>
>raises its own issues. There are three or four grades of coir now
>available. They range from a long, coarse fibre type, to a very fine hair
>type and there are grades that cobtain the crushed coconut shell itself in
>addition to the fiber. Some grades are like lumpy peat, others consist of
>long wire-lke strands. Which type are you using? Coir in it fine hair form
>is better than peat because it will rewet.There is a good article on it in
>Orchids, May 1998.
>I've not tried using any of it yet for C&S but the orchid people have
>jumped on to its use. Because it is so light do you think it will cause
>stability problems for your C&S plants? C&S tend to have root systems that
>are not fibrous and, if well plumped up and are in a mix that is very light
>the plants have a tendency to fall over. Pels and Sarcs are less likely to
>have this difficulty because they are not usually top-heavy but you might
>have to compensate the rest of the mix to give enough rigidity to it.
>I am interested to hear which type you are using and how you are doing with
>it.
>
>Andrew
>San Diego, California
>awilson@fda.net

Hi Andrew,

Had no idea that so many grades are now available! I bought some compressed
into a brick...I was hoping for the long hairlike kind but it was a bit
like peat really....but finer.

Since I use 2 mm quartz sand, grit 3-4 mm and some crushed
bricks....stability really isn't a problem here :-)
The mix IS light....I also add some crushed expanded clay spheres ( called
leca here used in hydroponics) so the roots get more air.

It was interesting to repot...I haven't repotted for the past three years
due to some sudden changes in residence, and some plants had waited longer
than that...I could tell merely by looking at the root systems which had
been sitting in a gritty mineral substarte and which had been sitting in a
peat-perlite mix.

Besides, I top up my pots with aquarium gravel of different sizes for
estethich purposes and to provide that extra bit of drainage around the
neck.

The juvenile Pel seedlings look happy in this...really they do. The Sarc
seedlings do too...no sign of fungus or anything.

But I will bear it in mind.....usually my C&S pots sit together so toppling
over isn't much of a problem.

Thank you for your input,

Ingrid in Sweden!

Thank you for