[IGSROBIN] Formosum hybrids

I recently purchased a pelargonium called "Golden Formosum" with unusual
fringed leaves.  I remember reading a story that these "formosum" plants
were originally discovered growing in Mexico(?) and were called
"formosum" at the time because they were thought to have come from
Japan.  Is anything else known about the actual origin of this type?
Also, do they need any special growing conditions?  Information about
them is rather sparce.   I live in Adelaide, Australia where
pelargoniums are very easy to cultivate.
Thanks
Carol Jurd