Re: [IGSROBIN] what's in a name?

Dear Cynthia,

The bees have probably been far more responsible for many of our hybrids
than many of our plant breeders are ready to admit! I have it from the
mouth of one best-known camellia raisers in the world that most of his
introductions were the result of the bees and not his own efforts at
pollination. The skill lay in selecting the plant attributes that would
probably work best and in knowing how to judge these long before the
young plants grew up. Much more difficult than applying the pollen.

No, I don't think I need to have the details now from Gary Scheidt,
interesting as they probably are. As long as "conjecturals" are involved
it probably would not help me to go through the painful details to see
whether there was any bloodline in there that would leave open the
possibility of a cross between a Regal and a Zonal or a cross between a
.... well, you know what I am getting at! I should, however, read Gary's
notes at a later date for general information. While they probably won't
help me unfold the whole problem I'm sure they would be very interesting
and teach me a lot that I don't know - not too difficult.

Thanks for the information. Let's enjoy the wonderful plants, no matter
where they came from.

Andrew
San Diego, California

Cynthia wrote:
"SINCE I HAVE BEEN GROWING THESE BEAUTIES FOR 15 YEARS NOW, I CAN SEE
WHERE MY RAISING OF BEES HAVE INDEED PLAYED AN INCREDIBLE PART IN MAKING
OTHER VARIETY NAMED REGALS. THOSE BOTANIST HAD A HELL OF A TIME
CONTROLLING THAT PRODUCTIVE INSECT. THAT IS WHY CONJECTURALS ARE
INCLUDED ON THE GENEALOGICAL CHART= BEES
POLLEN PLANT COMBINATIONS..... WITH A COMPATIBLE CHROMOSOME FORMULA
COMBINATION.
IN A LECTURE GIVEN BY GARY SCHEIDT. I RECALLED THE VARIOUS GENETIC
CHROMOSOME
NUMBERS GIVEN ,CONCERNING THE PLANT GROUP OF GERANIACEAE. IF THIS IS
IMPORTANT TO YOU I WILL LOOK FOR THE LECTURE NOTES, YOU WILL SEE WHAT
WORKS
WITH DIFFERENT PLANT COMBINATIONS. THE CHROMOSOME COUNT  IS THE ISSUE
HERE IN
HYBRIDIZING.
BETTER YET I SHOULD GET YOU HIS ADDRESS AND YOU CAN WRITE TO HIM.HE WILL
LOVE
TO SHARE HIS WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE ON THE SUBJECT."