Re: [IGSROBIN] where did they all come from?

  • To: IGSROBIN@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU
  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] where did they all come from?
  • From: Alby Scriven <SCRIVENS@BIGPOND.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 12:00:14 +1000
  • Comments: RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and ignored.

Hello Cynthia,
I have an Australian page on my site.  The most worthwhile Australian
Geraniaceae  plant to grow without doubt is P.rodneyanum.  Our Geraniums
and Erodiums are in the main pretty weedy types. Very few Australian
species Pelargoniums are available.  I am currently aimimg to cross
P.havlasae with rodneyanum which could produce an interesting result and
for Andrews benefit THEY ARE closely related.
The botanists say so. Actually you can see the similarities, roots
tuberous, leaves ovate-cordate, both producing rosettes of leaves with very
short stems,yes lots of similarities. It should work the only problem that
like each other seed can be hard to produce. The bees don't seem to be the
answer.
P.violareum/tricolor does produce seed. I think you will find that you
could get some from South Africa if not locally. Not the easiest plant to
grow and turns up its toes without warning. A pity as it is indeed a very
attractive plant.  Doesn't seem to like its roots being disturbed.
Regards Alby
Geraniaceae Is All Around The World
<A HREF="http://www.users.bigpond.com/SCRIVENS/">Click to visit my web
page</A>