Re: [IGSROBIN] where did they all come from?

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] where did they all come from?
  • From: Alby Scriven <SCRIVENS@BIGPOND.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:41:44 +1000
  • Comments: RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and ignored.

Hello Cynthia,
I am pleased to hear that your P.violareum appears to be co-operating and
producing seed.  I have similary been surprised on more than one occasion
by a seedling popping up unexpectedly.
I should make my point in respect of the early Regals clear.  I do not have
a theory on the evolution of the REGALS.  I was not around at the time so
like most others I have to rely on information handed down by botanists,
nurserymen and illustrators of years long past.  I am merely reporting on
my having read of a number of so-called claims of knowledge in respect to
the particular originators  of the supposed ancestory of the plants that we
know as Regals and as Andrew has lamented as P.hortorum and which was given
that name by one ( or reported it ) L.H.Bailey in 1916 In the Journal
Standard Cycl. Horticulture at page 2531. ( Same reference for P.domesticum
but on page 2532 ).
I have not mentioned P.betulinum, P.acerifolium and others  suggested and
sometimes more likely contributors to the tangled mess because frankly
nobody really knows the truth and consequently I make no such claims..  I
do however make observations about the probability of certain species
having grown them, observed their character and indeed attempted certain
crosses .  I can observe that a certain species flowers in the spring and
another in autumn and therefor in the uninformed days of the late 19th
century it would have been impossible to have produced such a result.

I thank you for your kind remarks in respect of my web site.  I have tried
to provide a service and cover as much ground as I can within the
limitations determined by my ISP.  All of the dates you showed interest in
are available and I strongly recommend you to obtain a copy of the
Geraniaceae Group Check-list which includes such information.  Most of the
visitors to my site would have little interest in this detail.

I look forward to your continuance of thoughtful correspondence on the
ROBIN. It is by such means we all expand our knowledge and understanding of
this wonderful family.
Regards Alby
Geraniaceae Is All Around The World
<A HREF="http://www.users.bigpond.com/SCRIVENS/">Click to visit my web