Re: [IGSROBIN] G argenteum

Hi there Ingrid,

Long time, no speak.  However, I can help you with this one.

I've grown G. argenteum for some years and it is not easy to keep here.  I
grow it in a raised bed, covered in the winter against the wet/cold
combination which seems to cause it to rot off.  However, even then I find
that a plant only keeps for two to three years.  However, the plant seeds
copiously and most germinate.  I had a plant which I lost winter, which
left around a dozen seedling this spring.  Overall, it seems to act rather
like an annual species!

It does hybridise fairly freely with other G. cinereum group species,
particularly G. cinereum cinereum, producing a range of attractive hybrids.
 The species itself is very beautiful.

I saw Mimi's comments about x lindavicum 'Purpureum' and 'Alanah'.  I am
still not totally certain that these are the same plants, although they may
be synonyms i.e. that are indistuingishable, but not clones.  There is no
certain information that I have been able to trace to show that the
Sündermann and Gore-Booth plants are the same, although they were clearly
very similar.
Best Regards,
David Victor

Saxifragaceae, Geraniaceae, Arisaema, Cape bulbs, Paeonia, Salvias, Irids
and anything else that is beautiful

Hockliffe, Bedfordshire, England, UK
Zone 7