Re: Hybridizing/Moving

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Hybridizing/Moving
  • From: maria guzman <eulen@TAOSNET.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:02:40 -0700

>When you start the seeds, do you cut off the tip?  Do you start them on
>paper, or directly in potting mix?  Any other hints on seed starting?
>Sandy Connerley

I cut off the husk at one end and CAREFULLY pop out the seed (easy to play
tiddly-winks and shoot seed across the room.)
Then I shave a slice from the seed coat with a narrow Exacto knife or razor
blade.  I soak them for a couple of days in water, then fold them between
damp paper towels and place in a plastic bag.  Some of them start sprouting
within 2 or 3 days but there are laggards that take a week or so to
germinate.  If any longer, they  are sterile.

It's best to use tweezers to handle seeds with rootlets.  Fly-tying
tweezers that are sold in fly-fishing stores are ideal because they have a
broad flat tip and there's no danger of squeezing too hard.