Re: [IGS] Intro and a question or two.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carolyn Schaffner <SCHAFFCM@BUFFALOSTATE.EDU>

>My question is --> what's a CAUDEXED PLANT? A caudex is the base of the
>stem, is it not?  Doesn't each plant have one??

A caudex really is a combination of stem/root that is enlarged to allow
the plant to survive long periods of drought. In Pelargoniums this
usually translates to bulbous geophyte species.   Most of the
Pelargonium images on my site tend to be caudex or succulent stem
species.  My favorite at the moment is probably P. antidysentericum.  P.
triste also has a great caudex.  Your can see these and many other
caudex species at
http://www.connectexpress.com/~pliekkio/pelargonium.htm  clicking on any
image will allow you to see a larger version of the image.

Keep Growing
Pete Liekkio
Seattle Washington
pliekkio@connectexpress.com