Re: [IGS] Pelargonium Species ID?

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Bunch <pbunch@CTS.COM>

>I have a plant labled as Pelargaonium crithmifolium
>The anthers are very small and appear to be non-functional.  The person
>I got it from told me he has never been able to get it to set seed.
>Does this sound like a normal flower for this species?

I've not had luck setting seed on this species either.

>A plant labled as P. dasyphyllum also is starting to bloom. Its stamens
>are about as long as the stigmas and bare well developed,
>purplish-red-brown anthers.  The flower size and coloration is very
>similar to the plant mentioned in the first paragraph with the
exception
>that the calex lobes have a reddish color.
>
>Anyone have input on these plants?

Both are section Otida.  Van der-Walt "Pelargoniums of Southern Africa
volume 2" and Diana Miller "Pelargoniums" mention the similarity of
these two succulent species.  The main flower difference seems to be
that p. dasyphyllum has 5 stamens of equal length while P. crithmifolium
has stamens of unequal length.

Keep Growing
Pete Liekkio
Seattle Washington