[IGSROBIN] Cuttings

Hi all,
Just thought I'd add my 'two bobs worth' on cuttings.  I grow mainly Zonal
pelargoniums

I don't use any hormone powders and don't have any trouble striking
cuttings.  The worst that can happen here is stem rot through over watering.

I use a good quality potting mix, have recently been using one with the
slow release fertilizer in.  I have tried various things including
additions vermiculite, perlite, river sand etc, but my cuttings seem to do
better with some nourishment.  I expect roots to be formed in 3-4 weeks and
turn the plants out to have a look at this stage.  If they are damp no
damage will be done.

The cuttings are usually about 4" long and cut immediately below a node
(some people say to cut through the node)
 In the hot humid weather we are having now I dust the cutting with sulphur
before planting (without delay) into 3' or 4" pots.
If I misted several times a day they would die of stem rot for sure.  I
have to be careful not to wet the leaves and only water twice a week even
in the hottest weather.
With this method I would say I have a 95% strike rate

I guess different approaches are needed for different areas .... just a
matter of trial and error.

Cheers
Joan  (in hot and huimid Perth W.Aust)

Joan Steele, Lesmurdie,   Western Australia
=========================   shakaskraal@iinet.net.au
Research names:
 http://carmen.murdoch.edu.au/community/dps/research/ste02.html