Re: [IGSROBIN] snails

Rita and Ingrid,
I use a solution of no more than 50/50 ammonia/water solution. I
actually try to get it more like 35/65 solution trying to keep the
ammonia as low as possible and still be effective.
I use 2 methods. If I find a large area of slug infestation, I take a
few nights of blanket coverage trying to hit at a time that more
contact is made. I don't like to do this because if there are any
night crawlers out, they bet killed too. The ammonia cuts through the
slim and burns up their succulent flesh of both the slugs and the
worms but direct contact needs to happen.
I also go out with a flashlight at nights around plants that are
prone to attack and hit all the slugs that I find . I only have to do
this for the first few weeks of the spring because they start to get
under control after that. Ground Beetles , snakes, and various birds
(esp. wrens) will eat slugs and help the balance .
As to plant damage from the spray: I have noticed none whatsoever. In
fact, if anything, the plants seem to green up real well. I figure it
is because there is foliar feeding of nitrogen fron the spray.
I have tried a vinegar solution also but have found that that can be
detrimental to the plants. I lost a favorite hosta by being too
enthusiastic with the vinegar spray because it actually acts as a
defoliant in high concentration by dehydrating the plant. (try it on
weeds sometime ,)
I hope all this helps.
If the Escargot assembly becoming disturbed, tell them that they
should come in and eat your slugs :-) . Who knows, they might
discover a new delicacy :-) .
Sincerely,
Dale