Re: Favourite

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Favourite
  • From: Mary <mscontrary@POBOX.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 13:00:22 -0700

on 5/13/01 11:41 AM, Gunnar Dath at golath@OTENET.GR wrote:

> Since we all love pelargoniums, I have a suggestion: why don't we all tell
> each other about our favourite?

I have to admit that I don't think I have posted before, or forget if I ever
did. I live in California in an area where my pelargonium plants need
protection some winters from frost and nearly all winters from wet, wet wet!

My favorite of all time is the Ivy "Intensity". It is a semi double
brilliant scarlet on a healthy large plant. Nearly 25 years ago I had it
planted along a fence in very poor soil. It grew up the fence about 5 feet
and bloomed and bloomed! I loved it, but when we moved I didn't take a slip.
Years later, when I got settled and had a garden of my own I couldn't find a
replacement at the nursery, and it had been widely available before. I guess
tastes change.

Last year I was walking by a planter in front of a shop and thought I saw my
good old Intensity. I, um, er, took a slip. I should have asked, I know, but
the shop was closed! The slip rooted and made it through the winter but
hasn't bloomed yet. I'm hoping that I once again have Intensity! (By the
way, I read somewhere that it was known by another name but it escapes me

Another favorite was (lost this one, too) a dwarf (or mini or at least
small) zonal called Meteor. It was a nicely shaped plant with (if I remember
correctly) unzoned green leaves and a perfect double deep red blossom.

Now I am remembering another pretty pink mini that I loved but I can't
remember its name! It's been fun to recall plants that I loved!

I do have a few ivys and scenteds, but nothing that is a favorite (or
favourite, depending on where you live!)

> Kind regards from the complainer,
> Gunnar Dath

Gunnar, at least you *did* something about what you were complaining about!
In the future I will try to post or respond or just think of something
interesting to say. Thanks for getting me started.

From the garden of Mary Mary, quite contrary