Any info on these geraniums?

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Any info on these geraniums?
  • From: Moerel&Bieräugel <martjip@HETNET.NL>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 17:00:16 +0200

Dear friends,

Last Friday I bought a geranium variety called 'Orion'. At the nursery (Meyer in Heiloo, Holland) they told me it was new, had a long flowering period and was an improvement on other blues. Does anyone have more information about this?

Another question is about propagating more or less trailing geraniums (the ones that make long shoots that don't root, but sort of weave through other plants). I have a variety called 'Blue Sunrise' (golden foliage, like that of 'Ann Folkard', with in this case beautiful midblue flowers. Someone asked me for seed or a cutting, but how do I go about it? It's not a very big plant yet, though it has been in my garden for about 2 or 3 years now. Any tips?

And for the favourite corner: my favourite pelargoniums are the Unique 'Mrs Kingsley' (it has dark curly leaves and small clusters of bright magenta flowers, much-loved by bees) and P. transvaalense (now in flower, actually; it has beautiful velvet leaves with a dark zone and long stems with narrowly-petalled pink flowers; easy to grow from seed). My favourite geranium is 'Ann Folkard', golden leaves with purple magenta flowers that have a black eye; I pop it in everywhere to brighten up other plants and shrubs, it will even scramble up a wall.

That's all for now, looking forward to your suggestions,

Jip Bieräugel,
Alkmaar, Holland