Proliferation

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Proliferation
  • From: Sandy Connerley <sandyc@SURFARI.NET>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 08:02:37 -0700

Cindi,
    Yes, it is proliferation when a flower grows from another flower.
It is a genetic trait common in some zonals and occasionally in a
dwarf.  It is not harmful.  If you do not like it, simply remove the
flower.  As far as if you can start a plant from it, I have never tried
it.  I occasionally get it on the dwarf stellar 'Helen Christine' and
may have on a few other plants, but can't remember.  And, 'Helen
Christine' only does it occasionally.  I have been informed that the
bird's egg zonal 'Mrs. J.J. Knight' does this also, but do not have that
plant.

Sandy