Re: Oasis

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Oasis
  • From: Claire Peplowski <ECPep@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 14:29:32 EDT

sandyc@SURFARI.NET writes:

<<     Re Oasis, do you think it would be ok to transport cuttings in Oasis
 for less than one week?  I have heard that this is successful when hand
 carrying on airplanes. >>

I lost around 5 or 6 plants from not removing the oasis which never changes
properties.  It apears to last forever as you purchase it.  There is no easy
way to get rid of it.

I put the plants in the cold greenhouse where species and small hybrids do
well in our zone 4 (minus twenty degrees F./about minus 4 Celsius) climate.
I keep the plants around 45 degrees F. and they do very well all winter.  All
except those in oasis starters.  One drop of water and it will never
evaporate.  The surrounding soil will remain dry but the oasis will hold
water and with the low temps, kill the plants.

I would not use it on anything.  The roots penetrate the material and you
have to  pick it off with a nailfile, taking hours not to injure the plant.

I someone out there likes oasis and has a different viewpoint welcome to tell
us.  I really hate that stuff.

Claire Peplowski
NYS