reliability of Patricia?

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] reliability of Patricia?
  • From: Terry King <taeking@ENDLESSHEALTH.COM>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 08:00:04 -0700

All of my shady loving hardy geraniums are growing beautifully after
surviving our winter, except for Patricia.  Although I consider us a USDA
zone 4 this past winter probably only rated about a zone 6, we hardly had
any temps below 0 F.  Although we did have single digit temps after the snow
melted in late March.

Does anyone have experience with Patricia in a similar zone?  I'm wondering
how reliable it is for cold.  The roots still seem solid in the ground so I
will give it awhile longer to show up before I replace it, it could be that
with the low angle of the sun that particular spot hasn't warmed enough yet.

I would like to report that Bevan's Variety and Ballerina both remained
evergreen all winter, even with scant snow cover and only bark on the ground
around them for mulch.  The single digit temps in March knocked Ballerina
back to the ground but it started growing back immediately.  I am so
impressed with Bevan's Variety, its one tough geranium!

Terry King
E. WA. zone 4