Re: An open area for zonal breeding

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] An open area for zonal breeding
  • From: maria guzman <mirror@3RIVERS.NET>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:32:07 -0600

Funny you say that, because it's exactly what I have in mind for breeding
from the species.  Certain of them have truly unusual "Japanese" colors
(indescribable shades), and bizarre petal formation as well, vis. P.
schizopetalum.  I don't even have a chromosome # for that one though its
Section (Polyactium)  is generally x=11, but that doesn't say whether it's
diploid or triploid.

And so it goes.  The more you learn the more you don't know.  Can I cross a
geophyte with a dwarf zonal?

Meanwhile my favorite dwarf Purple Heart  came down with botrytis from
overwatering - one of the greatest sins of a geranium grower.  I took 3
cuttings that looked healthy and have them in perlite under lights but
accepted wisdom is to discard everything.  We'll see.

maria