Re: Colors

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Colors
  • From: "Roth, Barry" <BRoth@BROBECK.COM>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 19:16:35 -0700

Two great questions!  The discussions on this list are often really
motivating, but it would take some life changes to get me back to
hybridizing.  I don't rule it out -- just not right away.

Very loosely:  To work on "art shade" zonals I would start accumulating and
growing varieties that already seem to have some traces of green or muted
colors already.  The Holmes Miller zonals "Old Rose" and "Cheerio" come to
mind.  I have seen single whites that showed some green in the throat.  I
would keep my eyes open while walking or driving around California for any
old shrub in someone's garden or a vacant lot that showed any promise in the
direction of art shades.  I would restrict my hunt to diploid varieties (to
the extent that I can recognize them), because diploids have a wider and
more subtle range of colors than tetraploids, and because of simple math:
one is working with two copies of a gene rather than four.  Simplifies
planning and should reduce the number of crosses necessary to obtain a given

When I had my stock of potential parents in hand, I would start
self-pollinating some or all to see whether a "touch of green" could be
intensified by bringing it into the homozygous state.  I would look for
other trends.  For example, do "white stigma" varieties show delicate
shadings more readily than "red stigma" varieties?  (My impression is that
they do.)  I would try to zero in on parents that had other good qualities
of flower and plant form (round, overlapping petals; short internodes;

Meanwhile, I would have defined a small number (three might be enough; one
might be enough) of other varieties for the "other parents."  Those would be
varieties with characters of flower and plant form that I liked and perhaps
with light pigment loads that might combine well with the greens I'm
developing.  Red, crimson, or dark salmon would probably overpower any green

All the above is probably about five years' work at a minimum -- and that
assumes that all goes as planned.  That gets us to the point where we can
start to make extensive crosses, hoping for just the right combinations of
all the traits we like!