Re: Variegated plants

  • Subject: Re: Variegated plants
  • From: Carolyn Schaffner drsnooks@BUFFNET.NET
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 04:14:56 -0400

Hi, Alex!

Actually, the original plant was entirely green, and the variegated part
is a SPORT.  Nobody really knows why or how plants grow a sport, or
reverts from variegation (back) to green but it might have to do with
some survival mechanism. as some adjustment is made of the chromosomes
at the site of the joining between the green and variegated portion.
Might be chimera, might not.

Variegation doesn't survive in the wild because the green portion, by
having and using much more chlorophyll,  is much stronger than the
variegated part, and by growth, over takes the sport. If you look around
your garden, you will see variegation on all sorts of plants. THEN, you
need to become familiar with propagation techniques and isolate that
sport and propagate it and show it to some plantsman and then become
rich and famous.

Mostly, have fun with plants!!!

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY

Hello there! I am new to the list and have a question I hope someone can
help me with. How is it that a variegated plant can all of a sudden have
new growth that become entirely green? I understand this growth needs to
be removed before it becomes the dominant color. Thanks, Alex p.
Pasadena, CA