Re: 3 new plants

  • Subject: Re: 3 new plants
  • From: Cynthia Pardoe RegalArt@AOL.COM
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 23:58:03 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/2003 4:05:17 PM Pacific Standard Time, ECPep@AOL.COM
writes:

> Peach Princess came
> from the Montreal Botanic Garden and some of the plants were in bloom though
> just beginning to bloom.

I have the REGAL: Peach Princess. She blooms a lovely delicate peach flower.
It's absolutely lovely with that creamy lime green edging with green
variegated foliage. A real treasure. Seems to be very stubborn to propagate. Yet, this
very plant that I have came from a cutting from Rome. I haven't been able to
get another one going. I think it maybe because the plant is such a slow grower
and needs a few years of growth to make a successful cutting. Will see during
propagation time.
Your Galway Star sort of sound like like this other fantastic variegated
REGAL plant I have called, "Silver Anne," also from Rome. Her bloom is incredible!
The flowers are medium large with orchid purple uppers and white lower
petals. (pansy-like). The variegated foliage is grey-green with a thin white edge.
The leaves are crinkled. This plant seems to be easier to propagate.
I don't see them as being hybrids from P. crispum.
They are regals, Pelargonium Domesticum. Their variegation and unique
characteristics are the by product of a virus in the plant that sported this genetic
mutation because of the environment that it is in. As a regal grower I find
this occurring with various regal cultivars.
I have a variegated Black Knight REGAL five years old that started to
variegate. It's two years in the making. The virus is now in the propagation area of
the plant. Coming propagation time I can propagate this genetic mutation
variation successfully and get variegated offspring.

Enjoy your PLANTS!
Cynthia Pardoe