Re: [IGS] over potting

Collin,

Do not look to me as the expert on this! I am in need of help, myself. What
I was asking about resulted from some large specimens of P. cortusifolium
last week that were growing in very poor, fast draining potting mix that
had been dumped in the open. The plants were very healthy, growing very
well on just rainwater, which has been good this year. However, instead of
making short, chunky stems the branches were only about 2 inch diameter and
several feet tall. For these plants I prefer the Sumo wrestler form!

On books to read, do not ask me! I am the one looking for the books! There
are books on how to bonsai succulents. They might be relevant but I am not
sure.

One thing that concerns me a litle about your potting the plants up into
such large containers is that unless the mix is really fast draining  those
root rots are more likely to occur because there are not enough roots to
extract the excess moisture. At least, that is what happens to succulents.
These pelargoniums may behave differently but they are not that far removed
from them. Any ideas from others?

Andrew
San Diego, California
awilson@fda.net