Re: [IGS] Lanky Sumos

>I, Collin, have been growing only seedlings that I started in a C&S soil,
>perlite, vermiculite mix. I was planning on a sand and C&S mix with a little
>pumice to grow the adults in but I have not gotten the quick drainage I want
>so I may move to more perlite, in lew of pumice $$$, to quicken the
>drainage.

Sorry Collin about the mixup.
Here in Sweden pumice is an arm and leg too....sao I use various
substitutes with great success...one of my best is crushed 'leca' ie
artificially expanded clay spheres often used in hydroponics or as a
building material..crushed it is almost like pumice...use it in its
spherical form ...it retains moisture...best of all, it is inert.
I also use crushed old bricks/pots. They work better than anything. If you
can get hold of it..it is worth the trouble...even if you crush it
yuourself!
I have stayed away from perlite for a long time...it tends to float to the
surface for me, isn't biodegradable...and can get green with algae or just
adhere to 'anything' due to static electricity.
Besides, you have the sneeze factor.

I also stay away from vermiculite except in soilmixes intended for seeds.
Vermiculite is also artificially expanded and degrades after a few years
into clay...not a good combination if it is drainage you are after.

These materials I have mentioned are equal to pumice and cost a good deal
less, IMHO, FWIW.

All the best,

Ingrid