Re: [IGS] over potting

-----Original Message-----
From: Ingrid <alfmike@ALGONET.SE>

>>Do not look to me as the expert on this! I am in need of help, myself. What
>>I was asking about resulted from some large specimens of P. cortusifolium
>>last week that were growing in very poor, fast draining potting mix that
>>had been dumped in the open. The plants were very healthy, growing very
>>well on just rainwater, which has been good this year. However, instead of
>>making short, chunky stems the branches were only about 2 inch diameter and
>>several feet tall. For these plants I prefer the Sumo wrestler form!

This is an interesting thread.  I've found that geophytic Pellys seem to need
lots of water during their growing period.  I've a number in both 6 inch and 4
inch pots and the 6 inch ones are blooming and doing much better than the
smaller potted ones.  I'm even planing on doing my seeding into 6 inch pots from
now on.  I've a 7 inch pot full of chunky one year old Sarco crassicaule that
are much bigger than 2 year old ones in 4 inch pots( these were moved from group
planting in 4 inch pots to single pots last year so it is possible that they
took a big setback from the move)   I think they may need the extra pot size to
keep soil temperatures down.

I'm wondering if the compactness of succulent/pachycaul species might might be
influenced by more than water, light and pot size.  Seems to me I remember
reading that even a
slight breeze promotes more compact growth.  Many are from coastal areas and I'd
expect they get good breezes in habitat.  Maybe this is an additional factor?
Maybe constant pruning of leaves by herbivores?  Gordon Rowley in his
Caudiciform book notes that "some of the fleshiest dwarf species elongate in
cultivation"  I'd be interested to hear if anyone is achieving tight compact
growth in the succulent/pachycaul species.

Has anyone tried the common hormones that the horticultural industry uses to
mimimize internodal distances? Chyrsanthemums are grown compact by the use of
hormones.

>But I agree..it is a tempting thought..but aren't caudex plants which are
>overpotted or planted in the ground to promote faster root/caudex
>development ...aren't they *less* prone to root rot in the first place? I
>mean, some are more sensitive than others? So it might be a good idea for
>'easily grown' caudex plants only?
>
>But it might be worth a try....sure, why not? Just don't try it with your
>most treasured plants :-)

Keep Growing
Pete Liekkio
Seattle Washington