[IGS] Sarcs again

Andrew Wilson wrote:
> Hi Mimy,
> I'm delighted to hear that Sarcs grow well for you in Holland.
Me too - I love my "Sarc" and currently all the still present old leaves
are replaced by lighter green (yet) new ones and I know it will be
flowering again in a couple of weeks!

> Letting them go dormant in the dark winter days sounds very reasonable and
> I quite agree with the use of that fast draining mix. They hate being overwatered.
I am a "bad waterer" I have to confess so perhaps that's the reason my
pellies & 1 sarc love me :-)

> Here I am faced with a different problem. Being outdoors they want to grow
> in winter when it rains, as they do in their homeland. That leaves open the
> question of what to do in summer. I could let them go dormant or perhaps
> like many succulents and species pelargoniums they can be kept growing. Do
> you know which is better? Is their life shortened by not allowing a rest
> season?
Saw Peter already answered this for you wonderfully! Dunno about life
shortening - understood from my friends in SA how ever that "bushman's
candles" can get very old.

> On the propagation side I have not heard of anyone doing it vegetatively.
> Being more woody than pelargoniums I think cuttings would be more
> difficult. However, with bottom heat it is certainly worth a try and would
> save time compared to seed.
Will try - thanx - now I have to decide on which little branch to cut
off without damaging the shape of the plant too much!

Bye - Mimy Sluiter