Re: [IGSROBIN] what's in a name?

Dear Alby,

Thanks for providing the information.

Do you know what is the reason for assigning the 'botanical' name of P.x
domesticum? I presume the practice of using the terms P.x peltatum and
P. x hortorum is analogous. Since they are all hybrids and with a highly
developed and complex lineage I am not sure it makes much sense
botanically and , in the commercial world I question the need for the
terminology since 'regal', 'ivy-leaved' and 'zonal' are used pretty
widely. If there were forms of two species that were crossed as first
generation members I could understand it better.

What happens for the Angels ? Have there been crosses between zonals and
regals and, if so, have they received a group cultivar assignation?

San Diego, California

"Regals are the result of much hybridization and records suggest that
cucullatum and later,grandiflorum, were heavily involved.
P.x domesticum is the alloted botanical name for all of the regal