Re: [IGSROBIN] what's in a name?

Dear Alby and Cynthia,

While I appreciate the information you've given there seems to be a
problem. Let me put this as carefully as I can without trying to get
anyone upset, but I don't see how both of you can be right!  Here's the
problem. Alby says, if I interpret him correctly, you cannot get crosses
between members of different sections (sub-groups); Cynthia says that
the Regals came from crosses between species that belonged to different
sections (P. cucullatum , P. betulinum are in the de Candolle section,
P. grandiflorum is in the Glaucophyllum section while P. fulgidum is in
the Ligularia section).

Can somebody help clear this one up? I've never understood the sections.
The definition of them is usually given pretty loosely and it ends up
with a list saying which species belongs where but does not tell
precisely why. Are the distinctions really based on genetic differences
and on the ability to procreate only through intra-section and, of
course, intra-species coupling? Or is there possibly a distinction
between the terms 'sub-genus' and 'family' as used by Alby (see below)
that I am not understanding? Or have there been name changes that
confuse the definition of the species involved in the developoment of
these wonderful but highly convoluted hybrid plants?

I did not intend the original question I had to lead to this but now
that it's started it would be helpful to me, and maybe others, to see it
cleared up. Thanks.

Andrew
San Diego, California

Alby wrote:

" Regals
are part of the Pelargonium/Pelargium sub-genus whilst Zonals belong to
an
entirely different family known as Ciconium.  Ivies, that is P.Peltatum
from their own family have crossed with zonals or Ciconiums.   It has
been
thought that the (sub-genus)Pelargonium family may cross with the
Peltatums
and thus the resultant hybrid may then cross with a Ciconium.
Personally
my opinion for what its worth is "NUTS".

Cynthia wrote:

"Take Pelargonium cucullatum (1672) Pelargonium Betulinum(1786)
Pelargonium
grandiflorum(1794) Pelargonium fulgidum (1732) and other conjecturals
that
share the same chromosome combinations and the First early hybrids were
made
in England 1800-1840....the early "regals" large ruffled, heavy markings
were
born in 1877-1914".