Re: [IGSROBIN] Regals, species: can I grow them?

Susan-I grow pretty much all types-including some pretty fussy scented
species outside and in pots down here in Tampa, Florida.  There are two
secrets that seem to do the trick in pots.  First you will get the best
results if you limit direct sun to three or so hours a day, preferable in
the morning.  Absolte best conditions are dappled sunlight all day-about 30%
to 40% shade.  Second, no what the books say about watering sparingly,
don't.  I use a potting mix of five parts commercial potting soil, one part
sand, and one part vermiculite.  With a decent sized pot and an inch of
mulch, they still need water at least every two days when actively
growing--which is all the time down here.  I also use ozmacoat time release
fertilizer, and feed once a week with half strength liquid fertilizer and
1/2 tsp magnesium sulphate per gallon.

As far as growing in the ground, the limited sunlight part applies.  I dig
in a lot of peat and vermiculite for water retention, but in your clay soil
i would tend to add some sand or perlite.  Mulch heavily, leaving a clear
ring abound the stem, water deeply once a week (or if showing distress) and
feed as in pots.

Good luck.

Robin