Blue Sky Ideas Revisited

  • Subject: Blue Sky Ideas Revisited
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 23:41:04 EST

As discussions about the IGS and possible ideas for its improvement have been
deemed appropriate for discussion on the IGSRobin, I'd like to add a few more
Blue Sky ideas:

1. The IGS should appoint a committee to take a serious look at where it is,
and where it should be in  3 -5 years. They should consider all previous
suggestions and try to determine ways to fund those they consider worthwhile.
They should then make a presentation to the board w/recommendations. Ideas
should not just be presented, and voted up or down - THEY NEED TO BE SOLD.
Board members need to understand the importance of moving forward.

2. If it is not already the case, ALL IGS members should have a vote when it
comes to electing the society president. A ballot could be included in GATW.

3. Any member running for president of IGS should be REQUIRED to fill out a
brief form (maybe 1/4 page) w/ their name; their major plant interests in the
family; their involvement in the society; and their vision for the society.
This will help people decide who they think should be president.

4. When someone is asked to write a report to be presented and discussed at
an IGS Board meeting, the member that requested the report should inform the
author about the outcome of said discussion, IN A TIMELY MANNER.

5. While it is understood that board members may be busy and unable to answer
mail or e-mail immediately, every attempt should be made to let the writer
know that their transmission was received and will be answered AS SOON AS
POSSIBLE. Board members need to realize that no one likes being blown off

6.At the risk of crossing an imaginary line: Board members are on the board
to serve the general membership and to help the society not only exist, but
MOVE FORWARD. Maintaining the status quo isn't good enough anymore. Board
members satisfied w/ the mere existance of the society should consider
resigning and allowing new members w/fresh thoughts to take their place. If
the IGS does not have money to fund worthwhile projects, something needs to
be done- SOON. I am not opposed to a rate increase if required to implement
much needed changes. I am opposed to a rate increase if nothing changes!

7. The IGS needs to set up a society run site (Robin), and stop relying on
this privately run list. Anything having to do w/the IGS, plants,  board
members,etc. should be fair game. It should be a place where we can EXPECT an
answer from a board member. Of course, private e-mail should be considered
first, but everyone should have the option of using the IGS-run Robin if you
get no response. I still think its embarassing that more board members aren't
on this list. As they sometimes respond in their capacity as board members,
they should be considered board members while on this list! Of course, that
is only my opinion.

I realize these ideas will probably never go anywhere, but I've put them out
there. I don't expect an answer to any of the above or my board meeting issue
- I'm sort of getting used to the silence.

Have a great weekend!

Ed Olson-Moore