Re: Fw: Re: Blue Sky/ TPB/ IGS Board Meeting

  • Subject: Re: Fw: Re: Blue Sky/ TPB/ IGS Board Meeting
  • From: David Barrett mentha@beeb.net
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:02:24 -0000

Hello All,

> Hi David and Everyone.  I have been thinking about this post
> for a day and I feel I have to say something.. I too was assuming
> that this list was officially an IGS list and I really had no idea it
> was a private list which was retaining the IGS name.
> I too, perhaps because I am fairly new on this list, was
> expecting board members to be participating.  I did see
> that someone had originally set up the list, but it is listed
> as the IGS Round Robin, and I really had no way to know
> it wasn't an official list.

It is an IGS List, originally set up by a members with the Boards blessing
for the use of ordinary members to talk about their enthusiasm for
pelargoniums, geraniums and other Geraniaceae plants. When Diana decided she
wanted to cease being List Manager ("Owner" in the cyber terminology) I
volunteered and took over with the Boards agreement. I can't see that
anything I said in my last message suggested it was a private List.

>  In addition, I am fairly negatively surprised at your wording:
>  "Whether or not the US membership of the IGS wish to make
> it compulsory for Board membership to have a computer,
> email facilities and forced to take part in this Mailing List
> discussion is to me is verging on the edge of "off topic",
> which should be plants. However the name is The "IGS" Robin,
>  so ....  "
>  -- The "US membership"?  Is there such a divide that one
> member in the United States cannot state a valid opinion
> without all of us here in the states being lumped together
> in what seems to be some sort of slur about where we live?

I'm afraid you have misunderstood my words. "US membership" because I
personally don't see why IGS members from abroad should have a right to
dictate policy for, what is actually, The USA Geranium Society, even though
membership is open to anyone. The overseas membership of the UK Societies is
not overly large, so the situation does not arise, but with such a
excellent Journal I don't know why all European, Australian and Canadian
pelargonium enthusiast don't join the IGS. But the point of the actual
sentence was not that. There is no compulsion for any member or Board member
to have a computer, email access or join the IGSRobin. They may have no
interest in computers. The common point of the IGS is the interest in
pelargoniums, geraniums and Geraniaceae. The additional common point of the
IGSRobin is email access and the wish to send or receive messages about the
plants this way. So to expect The Board to reply on the Robin is unfair.
This is the area I thought was verging on the "off topic". Not that a member
can't request information and a Board members can't respond, if they are a
member of the Robin, and they wish to. And Board members have used the Robin
to inform Robin members of IGS business matters in the past. To expect the
Board to reply by letter or telephone, in due course is another matter, as
this is open to all wherever they live.

It would be possible for the IGS Board to set up a separate Announcement
for Official communications if there was a big enough demand from the total
IGS membership. However as anything Official still has to be sent by Mail by
Law, this would only be additional.

Laurie set up a separate "GeraniumandPelargonium" List earlier this year, at
about the same time as joining us, covering the same range of interest as
the IGSRobin except the IGS of course, so there are now three active
Pelargonium Lists and so each of us in cyberspace should be able find a List
we like. Laurie has left the IGSRobin, so anyone wanting to make contact
should do so direct.

David Barrett
IGSRobin List Manager

IGS Robin webpage