Re: Blue SKy/ TPB/ IGS Board Meeting

  • Subject: Re: Blue SKy/ TPB/ IGS Board Meeting
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:26:51 EST
  • Comments: cc: Laurie@LAEOM.COM

In a message dated 11/10/02 ,in reference to the IGSRobin, David Barrett, who
is the list manager wrote:

It is an IGS List, originally set up by a members with the Boards blessing
for the use of ordinary members to talk about their enthusiasm for
pelargoniums, geraniums and other Geraniaceae plants. When Diana decided she
wanted to cease being List Manager ("Owner" in the cyber terminology) I
volunteered and took over with the Boards agreement. I can't see that
anything I said in my last message suggested it was a private List.

David-
Let me help you understand how anyone would interprete your response to my
e-mail as meaning this list is private. The last line on your response was
..."the name is The "IGS" Robin. In addition, your response made it quite
clear that YOU determine what is "off topic". While I agree that the list
needs a moderator or some sort, I don't believe anything having to do w /the
Geranium family, or the IGS is "off topic", whether you agree with what was
posted or not. I think my posting made it quite clear that I had attempted
other avenues. I didn't specify who hadn't answered my e-mails, I simply
stated my opinion that I felt it was not acceptable. A personal attack on an
individual board member would have been "off topic".

I was as upset as Laurie was with your perceived "this is my list" attitude,
however after thinking about it for most of the day, I decided to play by
your rules, hence the apology  followerd by my Blue Sky Ideas Revisited
e-mail. My Blue Sky posting stated the same thing I was complaining about,
but in a manner you deemed appropriate.

I'm afraid you have misunderstood my words. "US membership" because I
personally don't see why IGS members from abroad should have a right to
dictate policy for, what is actually, The USA Geranium Society, even though
membership is open to anyone.

In my opinion, the majority of IGS members should have the right to dictate
policy, whether they are abroad or not. But you did hit a very important
note, although slightly off center. The IGS is
not The USA Geranium Society, nor is it, as the name implies, The
International Geranium Society. It should more rightly be called The Southern
California Geranium Society. My aim is to get this group to look at itself,
and decide whether it wants to change to live up to its present name
(International). The problem is that there are a lot of people happy to see
this group just exist. And there are a lot of people who don't want to lose
control of certain aspects "under their domain".
An idea was presented, under the BLUE SKY  heading, about putting all GATW
back issues on CDs and creating an index of all back issues (both in print
and on CD). Who benefits from hording information and making it cost
prohibitive to have all the information available to anyone at a reasonable
cost. Certainly not the IGS or the majority of its members. The argument that
you lose control if you put this information on CDs is rediculous - if the
CDs are not cost prohibitive. The argument that you will never sell hard
copies of back issues again is equally rediculous. Some people want hard
copies to complete their collection; some people collect hard copies; and
some people would rather buy a single issue to acquire an article than to pay
for a CD, which would obviously cost more that the few dollars of a single
back issue. In addition there are those who do not have access to computers.
Throw a scare into board members and they react en mass: it's safer to stay
here than move forward!! My message to board members is - move forward or
this group will slowly wither!

The overseas membership of the UK Societies is
not overly large, so the situation does not arise, but with such a
excellent Journal I don't know why all European, Australian and Canadian
pelargonium enthusiast don't join the IGS.

There is plent of room for improvement in this excellent journal (GATW). All
you have to do is look to the african violet society, which has an incredibly
large membership and a journal at least 5 times larger. How does the IGS get
to that point? First, the board members have to get off their collective back
sides and try to attract new membership. Good luck! The postings on "Blue
Sky" were an attempt to prod the IGS to move! Only new blood will get that
started. The IGS, today, is at a standstill, and has been for the majority of
its existance. It pains me to see this. The potential for the IGS is
incredible. Somebody in this group has to be willing to stand up and lead the
IGS into the 21st century. That person must be from the area where the
majority of IGS members live, Southern California. But that person must have
an international outlook!

At the moment, I choose to stay on the Robin, to continue the fight to
improve the IGS. Rest assured that at some point I will give up the fight and
move on alone, if I'm not ejected from the list first.

Ed

Ed Olson-Moore
h20wrx@aol.com