Re: Greenhouse Info

  • Subject: Re: Greenhouse Info
  • From: Joe-Oregon Coast jowilmajo@YAHOO.COM
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:31:16 -0800

Sandy, I would reccomend a greenhouse with a curtain
wall over Glass to ground style. With glass to ground
you have too much glass as with a curtain wall style
using masonry, fiberglass, or cinderblock. You need to
think of your overall heating dollar. Sturdibuild of
Portland has some nice models. As far as heating I
would reccomend 2 of these small electric heaters with
2 ranges. Set one at your growing temp 65*F and the
second at say 45 or 50*F as a backup heater. It is
also important to have your ventilation set 10* over
your growing temp of 65*. Because of the small size of
your greenhouse there will be more fluctuations of
temp than in a large greenhouse.
You have not said if your greenhouse will be
freestanding or leanto? I presume it to be
freestanding.
You need to hook up a Thermalarm so if temp rises or
lowers beyond your heaters or ventilation settings you
will be notified by bell or other device.

I love answering questions on greenhouses and am a
Oregon Master Gardener. Have also given classes on
greenhouse setup & selection.

Joe

--- Sandy Connerley <sandyc@SURFARI.NET> wrote:
> Thanks Joe and Maria,
>
> We move to our home in Grass Valley April 1, 2003,
> so am getting ready
> now, making the decisions.  I am thinking of an 8' x
> 16'  greenhouse and
> have thought about this one:
>
> http://www.gardenhouse.com/mtrainier.asp
>
> Grass Valley is at 2300 feet, and it can get cold
> there in the winter,
> but not every year is it brutal.
>
> Another thought is I have noticed some greenhouses
> are 9' wide.  This
> might mean I could have 3 benches and more space.
> Since I have never
> had a greenhouse before, would appreciate any
> advice.  This will be a
> permanent move for us.
>
> Thanks, Sandy

=====