Re: Cuttings

  • Subject: Re: Cuttings
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:57:23 -0700

Sandy:  what experience I've had with cuttings has convinced me that the
perfect medium is pure perlite.  I place the pot (I use small styrofoam
cups bought for super cheap price/pack at a restaurant supply outlet) under
fluorescent lights at the end of fixture where it's dimmer, and leave it
there for maybe a couple of weeks, then move towards the center where light
is higher.  You can gradually elevate until leaves are close to the tubes.
NEVER LET IT DRY OUT.  You'll know when roots are struck by gently nudging
the stem.  It takes maybe a month to be sure, or even longer.  But
simplicity itself.  BTW I drape aluminum foil over my 4-tube setup which
increases the ambient light and keeps in warmth.  Perfect for growing