Fungus Gnats

  • Subject: Fungus Gnats
  • From: Sandy Connerley sandyc@SURFARI.NET
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:30:24 -0800

Angie,
    I don't think bleach will help with the fungus gnats, but if you
have success please let me know.  I do not have them now, but went
through a period when I brought a badly infested plant home a couple
years ago.  I, too, grew mostly under lights then, and do now about 1/2
and 1/2.  They spread and it was a nightmare.  We had one plant that
died and we dissected the stem and found the larvae like clear little
threads and a black dot at one end just like the books say (looking
through a microscope).  I tried the neem drenches, which cut the
population, but they always came back.  Then, top dressed with pyrethrin
powder which worked pretty well.  Even tried miniature little bug
zappers which did get some!!!  But it was not until I used a systemic
that they died out.  I am very careful what I bring in and I pasteurize
my soil in my oven in a turkey roaster used only for that purpose - 1/2
hour at 140 degrees.

Sandy