Re: Fungus Gnats

  • Subject: Re: Fungus Gnats
  • From: Claire Peplowski ECPep@AOL.COM
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:19:23 EST

In a message dated 11/14/02 8:29:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sandyc@SURFARI.NET writes:

> through a microscope).  I tried the neem drenches, which cut the
> population, but they always came back

For neem fans, please do not be offended but I would like to say that I have
never been able to find a use for neem and I have tried it as a drench, a
spray, full strength and other ways I cannot remember.  Somewhere I read that
an insect would need to ingest the neem then it would become unlikely to feed
and perhaps not increase.  All of this is a lengthy process and not certain.
Neem certainly gets a lot of press.  It has been patented in this country,
the name, which is not true in other countries where the tree grows

Fungus gnats are controlled by treating the larvae with BT Israeliensis
(Israelensis) form purchased in catalogs or well stocked nurseries.  Another
old gardener's trick is to put about 3/4 inches of dry sand on the surface of
the pot mixed with a small amount of rotenone or pyrethrum.  The larvae are
not able to survive dry sand being the reason.   I have not tried dry sand
but I see it often in older books.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4