Re: [IGS] geraniums and erodiums

Dear Dale:

I read your comments about geraniums and erodiums.  I have a small
nursery in California specializing in the genus geranium and also in
erodiums. Although I live in a mild part of California I mail order
plants around the country, and depend on my customers to keep me
informed on what does well where. I have grown Geranium cinereum var.
subcualescens 'Giuseppii' for many years.  I have been told that it will
survive in Zone 5, but I think its survival depends on excellent
drainage,  snow cover and location in a bright, light area in the
garden. Possibly a period of hardening off before the onset of winter
would help its survival, too.

With regard to Erodium 'Charm', I have seen this plant offered by
wholesale nurseries.  It is my belief that it is Erodium reichardii with
a "cutsey" name put on it by some enterprising nurseryperson so it can
be more easily sold.I grow and sell an number of different selections of
E. reichardii (its old name was E. chamaedryoides).  There are two
double-flowered forms of pale pink and dark pink,  a larger single, E.
reichardii 'Bishop's Form', a tiny little form with smaller leaves and
small white narrow-petalled flowers, and nice white form E. reichardii
'Album' which has magenta veins on the flower petals, and there are
more! I understand that this species will not survive out of doors lower
that Zone 8, and even then it is sometimes dicey.  How do you grow it in
the winter?

I grow and sell about 300 hardy geraniums many of which are hardy in
Zone 5, but I have been told that the best erodiums for Zone 5 are the
carrot-leaf look-a-likes Erodium manescavi, E. carvifolium, E.
castellanum etc.  Have you tried these?

I am very interested in hearing of experiences of growing erodiums
out-of-doors in cold areas.  They are not widely grown plants and every
bit of information is so helpful.