[IGSROBIN] winter

  • To: IGSROBIN@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU
  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] winter
  • From: John & Pat Adney <johnadney@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:56:30 -0600
  • Comments: To: gesneriphiles@lists.colorado.edu, shadegardens@maelstrom.stjohns.edu, indoor-gardening@prairienet.org, avconnection@makelist.com

Hello to all:

Winter has arrived in east central Iowa. The wind is gusting up to 66 miles
an hour; the weatherperson says the average speed is 44. The temp at this
hour is 31 degrees. It's been raining all day; it's supposed to turn to snow
tonight. One to four inches perhaps.

Many schools closed early not because of snow but due to wind. A lot of
branches are down; some whole trees are uprooted. Electrical power has been
disrupted over a wide area. I'm one of the lucky few that still has
electricity, but I'm afraid if this wind continues through tonight we may be
without power before dawn. The power and telephone lines to my house are
being blown up and down and sideways. I don't see how they can stay up much
longer.

I'm snug in the plantroom enjoying plants under lights. Here is spring!

The gardening season is finished, but I still have four daylilies, two hosta
and two columbines to put in. Guess I'll put them in a sheltered location
for the winter and dig them up and put in their proper locations come
spring.

Hey, somebody's garbage can just flew by!

John G. Adney
Marion, Iowa (zones 4-5)
johnadney@email.msn.com