[IGSROBIN] New "List Owners"

Hello to all list subscribers,

I have been away for a while, so Brenda kindly introduced us both as the
people to contact if you have any problems with posting to or receiving from
the IGS Robin in future. The person to try first is me, at
david@1000feet.prestel.co.uk  or  igsrobin@pellie.com
Brenda will be substituting if there is an emergency whilst I am away, in
England at a meeting or collecting plants - but that's Not very often.

I have been pretty quiet on the robin so far. I didn't even send in my
interests to Andrew Wilson's census enquiry. But 1998 has been the worst
growing season I've experienced since living here and every hour has been
precious. We had to manage without a summer at all this year, at this
altitude - spring held on and on and turned to mild autumn in September. So
Pelargonium growth was very slow with such poor light levels. Snowdonia is
wet (especially during the winter), good for my Mentha Collection but not
so good for pelargoniums, but I wish it had stopped as it usually has during
the summer. We don't usually flood, even after three days of non-stop rain,
but it does make working outside difficult. Even working under glass is
restricted because wind usually accompanies the rain. Returning home to the
mountainside last weekend I was greeted by what remained of Hurricane Mitch
by the time it got to this side of the Atlantic.

My geraniaceae are mostly pelargoniums, with a few hardy geraniums. The
pelargoniums are mostly scented cultivars and species & the Uniques; with a
selection of Cactus, Carnation and Rosebud flowered cultivars, Kliene
Leibling forms and a scattering of non-scented species. The number of plants
is limited by greenhouse space. The weather is not reliable enough to have
any pelargoniums out for the summer in this exposed site.

Any list members who are more Geranium orientated visiting Crug Farm Plants,
at Griffith's Crossing, Caernarfon, are welcome to get in touch with me if
they'd like to visit - I am only about 10 miles away. Scenteds growers are
always welcome to visit, as are Mentha enthusiasts.
You will all need a map to find us!

or  igsrobin@pellie.com