Re: [IGSROBIN] Weather report & zonals

Cindi,
Though I'd better drop you a note.  We are packing up for a 5 day trip to
the country. Pete will do some cross country flying and I'm the 'pursuit
vehicle  with fuel & tucker, etc.  We drive  200 miles before  we start.
The weather is warming up so these trips will be curtailed pretty soon
.Pete didn't get much flying in this winter because of me being laid up and
he had to re-build his machine, after a crash.
  My cat, on the other hand, has been reduced to sleeping on my printer
because
>there's a vent that lets the warm air out, and he uses it to keep warm.  It
>does mean that I have to vacuum the printer every couple of days, but if it
>makes the cat happy ...

And I thought SHAKA was spoilt!

>My zonals never bloom very heavily although I do fertilize and try to keep
>them content.  What size pot do you keep yours in?  And do you have to keep
>turning the pot to get a uniformly full plant?

 I don't go above 140mm (5" I think) very often and some of my plants are
18" tall.  For fertilizer you need high Potash for flowers.   Nitrogen &
Potash should be about the same in the analysis.  Phostrogen is a good one.
I must admit mine haven't had fertilizer for ages.  I used to do it every
three weeks or so.   More recently I bought a gadget that fits on the tap
and delivers small amounts of fertilizer as you water.  It seems to do the
trick ... so far.
if my plants are  in a position to need turning I do so ... not as often as
I should.  Some that are facing north  (south for you)
The seeds will take a few more weeks to dry on the plants, but I'll send
them on as soon as possible.  I would suggest spring planting though, to
give them a chance.
I have been out cleaning pots this morning.  They get hosed to remove any
soil, then soaked in a huge tub for a week and then into  a tub of water
and bleach.  They don't need much scrubbing after that.  All the salts &
scale have dissolved.
Still waiting fro my GATW.  I have some photos taken at our show, although
I'm not all that happy with them.
I'd better get a move on.
Bye for now     Joan
Joan Steele, 65 Ford Rd., Lesmurdie 6076   Western Australia
Research names:
 http://carmen.murdoch.edu.au/community/dps/research/ste02.html ===========