Re: [IGSROBIN] Weather report & species.

At 02:12 PM 12-11-98 +0800, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>Thought I'd put in the weather report from W.Aust.  38=BAC (over 100=BAF) an=
>it's only Spring!. I've had enough of the heat already!
>We have heard on the news about the bad weather over there ... hope it's
>all settled down by now.
>
>My Zonals are a blaze of colour and I can't keep up with dead-heading them.
>Also the white cabbage moths are everywhere and I'm overdue to spray, so
>I'm expecting the green caterpillar attack any minute now.     Still I
>guess it's not as bad as dog attack,  eh Cindy!
>Trouble is I've recently joined two genealogy mailing lists, which are very
>active.  Because I was away on the weekend I had 134 messages on the
>Monday.  All very interesting..and addictive, but I have been neglecting my
>plants.
>
>Recently a very kind person in th US sent me some species pelargonium
>seeds.  I have never grown any of them before and am not quite sure what to
>expect.  I have read about them in books so do have a bit of an idea, of
>what they should look like.  They are up and just getting their second
>leaves... very exciting seeing the different leaf shapes forming.=20
>If anyone knows any special requirements for growing the ones listed below,
>please let me know.
>I have;-
>P. tongaense
>P. hispidum
>P. dolmiticum
>P. suburbanum
>P. coriandrafolium
>P. crithmifolium
>P. sidoides
>
>I kept a few others for Autumn planting as I think they are listed as
>winter growers..hope that's the right thing to to.  They are:-
>
>P.dasyphillum
>P.triste
>P.gibbosum
>P.fulgidum
>
>I have wanted to get P.transvaalense since seeing it growing in RSA.  Does
>anyone know where I can get seed?
>Have booked my accomodation for the International Conference in Canberra,
>Oct next year. We were advised that it going to be pretty scarce at that
>time.  I guess Marj Edwards will have some new and exciting hybrids to show
>us.
>My GATW hasn't arrived yet, but it takes a good three weeks usually.
>
>All for now    Joan
>

>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>Joan Steele, 65 Ford Rd., Lesmurdie 6076   Western Australia
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>=3D=3D=3Dshakaskraal@one.net.au
>Research names:=20
> http://carmen.murdoch.edu.au/community/dps/research/ste02.html =3D=3D=3D=3D=
> [...]

Dear Joan,

A few months ago I bought P.transvaalense at the club meeting of the Dutch
Pelargonium and Geranium Society. The colour and shape of the leaves was
very striking. Now it has bloomed and I have tried to let it set seed and
this morning I saw that two flowers (narrowly petalled and bluish pink) have
formed the the storkbill-like seedpods (or whatever they are called). I'll
keep an eye on them and if there are seeds I would be willing to send them
to you. For that I need your home address of course. It might be nice for
you to know, Oh wonders of modern communication, that I am writing you from
Alkmaar in Holland; I guess South Africa is nearer to where you live! So
mail me and I'll do my very best.

By the way, does anyone know what the best place for this species is? It is
now freezing outside, so I put it indoors on a southfacing windowsill.
However, the leaves tend to curl, which is a shame, as they are very
beautiful and would be even more so if they were 'flat'. Have you or has
anyone any idea?

Bye for now,

Jip Bieraugel
martjip@multiweb.nl