Re: [IGSROBIN] P. transvaalense

Jip,
Received your message on return from a country trip.  It's hotting-up in
the inland!
Thanks for your generous offer of seeds (should they mature).  I would be
very grateful if you could post them to me.

Yes we're a bit closer to RSA.  have had three trips over there and saw
transvaalense in the Eastern Transvaal near Barberton, almost on the border
of Swaziland.  We were coming back from there via 'Piggs Peak'   (Have you
read 'The Power Of One' ?... the main reason I wanted to visit that area).
The country was fairly dry ... not tropical.  The leaves were almost maple
shaped and had a distinct zone.
I believe they have them growing in Stellenbosh gardens at Cape Town, which
is very much cooler. I wasn't 'into' pellies at the time, but had that one
pointed out to me by relatives travelling with us.
  My address should have been at the bottom of my letter, however a part of
that went haywire ... will try again!
TTYL
      Joan

>Dear Joan,
>A few months ago I bought P.transvaalense at the club meeting of the Dutch
>Pelargonium and Geranium Society. The colour and shape of the leaves was
>very striking. Now it has bloomed and I have tried to let it set seed and
>this morning I saw that two flowers (narrowly petalled and bluish pink) have
>formed the the storkbill-like seedpods (or whatever they are called). I'll
>keep an eye on them and if there are seeds I would be willing to send them

>to you. For that I need your home address of course. It might be nice for
>you to know, Oh wonders of modern communication, that I am writing you from
>Alkmaar in Holland; I guess South Africa is nearer to where you live! So
>mail me and I'll do my very best.
>
>By the way, does anyone know what the best place for this species is? It is
>now freezing outside, so I put it indoors on a southfacing windowsill.
>However, the leaves tend to curl, which is a shame, as they are very
>beautiful and would be even more so if they were 'flat'. Have you or has
>anyone any idea?

Joan Steele, 65 Ford Rd., Lesmurdie 6076   Western Australia
Research names:
 http://carmen.murdoch.edu.au/community/dps/research/ste02.html ===========