[IGSROBIN] Non-growing months

Ingrid,

Here in San Diego, we really don't have non-growing months where everything
dies back due to frost or snow.  October, November, December & January are
when things are growing less vigorously outdoors and the temperatures and
cooler, especially in the evenings.  February and March are when things start
to wake up and grow a little faster, putting out buds.  April, May and June
are when the pellies are in full swing for me.  July, August and September
tend to be quite hot and dry, and things need a lot of water to keep going,
especially for the potted plants.

May and June are also when the California geranium societies tend to have
their plant shows and sales.  It's the time of year when I acquire the most
plants for my collection and get the least amount of sleep.

Things slow down for me about now, so I use the time to sort out the dead and
dying plants, trim back things that have really gotten overgrown, clean and
sterilize pots for re-use, and make lists of things I need to re-acquire this
spring when they become available.  I'm also going through my plants looking
to see what I think might be available to use at our show in May, and shifting
it to the front tables so I can keep a close eye on it and start giving it
extra attention.  I used to erase or use nail polish remover to remove the old
names from labels and recycle them, but lately I've been so short on time that
I just toss them into the recycling bin and use fresh ones.  I don't know if
I'm using a cheaper brand than before or what, but they tend to get damaged by
the sun and snap into little pieces upon little provocation within 6 months to
a year now, anyway.

Didn't get to see the meteors here either due to cloudy weather.

Cindi
hedgehug@aol.com