[IGSROBIN] P. sidoides, P. reniforme, 'Burgundy' & 'Garnet'

The Gary Scheidt article I referred to is one that will appear in the Winter
GATW, which is currently at the printers and should be out in December.  While
he goes into more detail about leaf, flower and growth habit differences, I
find that the biggest difference is in the flower color.  Unfortunately, that
can vary from plant to plant.

The flower of P. sidoides is much darker than the others, almost a black
color.  It has a sweet odor to it similar to violets that is more pronounced
in the evening and early morning.  By afternoon the scent is pretty much gone.
The petals are narrower and tend to curl back more.

P. reniforme leaves and growing habit are quite similar, but the flowers are
much lighter, sort of a pinkish-purple and the petals are a bit wider and less
curled back.  No scent to the flowers on the plant that I have.

'Burgundy' is probably a cross between the two above.  (Gary thinks, no one
really knows)  No scent to the flowers on my plant.  The color of the flower
is somewhat between the above two, and can vary from plant to plant.  It's a
clear reddish-purple, the color of burgundy wine.

'Garnet' is another probable cross.  The flower is a different hue than
'Burgundy', more of a matte color, sort of a brownish overtone to a deep
reddish purple.  We had a real hard time trying to describe the color in
words.  I think part of the difference is the way the light plays on the
flowers.  With 'Burgundy', the light almost comes through the petals as if
they are translucent, like a stained glass church window.  With 'Garnet' the
color is deeper and richer, more like velvet, and less translucent, with sort
of a brick overtone to the red.

I think there's also a series of plants with P. reniforme in their background
being marketed now.  'Lavender Lass', 'Lavender Lady', 'Lavender Lad', etc.
If Robin Parer is on, perhaps she could clarify that?  I've misplaced my
catalog again, so I can't look it up.  I seem to recall that she had them
available for purchase last year.