Re: [IGSROBIN] Tuberous Rooted Geraniums

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Robin Parer <geraniac@PACBELL.NET>
Datum: zaterdag 28 november 1998 18:41
Onderwerp: Re: Tuberous Rooted Geraniums

>The tuberous rooted geraniums, G. tuberosum, G. malviflorum, G.
>macrostylum, G. libani, and others,  have not been grown in a wide
>enough variety of locales for us to say definitely what they will
>tolerate.  ........ Common sense says they will not be hardy where the
>ground freezes, but is that actually true?  I have no idea.

Hello Robin,

In the southern part of Holland, I grow G.malviflorum for more then eight
years. I always leave them in the ground. In summer they are dormant, the
first leaves appear in March en flowers sometimes in April.
When G.procurrens disappears from frost (-12 degrees C), G.malviflorum still
survives the winter, even when the ground is frozen. Even when they stay in
plastic pots of 15 cm, outdoors in winter, they still appear in
February/March. It gives me the idea that G.malviflorum is frost hardy.

Best wishes,