Re: Freezing temps

Hi Ronald,
Limits on freezing depends on, how much water is in the stems of your plant
in question. I'd say you've hit your limit there with the temperature of cold
being at that degree, 23. There are always micro-climate situations that will
allow for the temperature to be varying from the low twenties to 28 degrees.
The important thing to remember in growing geraniums and some of the other
more juice stem types is that the higher the level of water in the stem, the
higher the chance of freezing and then rotting.
    When the temperature gets down to 28 on an occasion thoughout the
gardens. I will have die back. In the front yard the die back is more severe
and thus I don't prune back those plants as hard. The foliage acts as a
protector for the root systems of these Pelargonium's. I can always count on
this area to have yearly die back. So I work with it. So far I have plants
still there that come back from the plants root system when the weather drops
down into the low twenties for the last 16 years now.
    It's all about knowing your plants and not being afraid in testing them
in their growing habits that we place them into.
    Happy Propagating to all!
Cynthia Pardoe
San Diego, Ca.