Re: Hybridizing

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Hybridizing
  • From: maria guzman <eulen@TAOSNET.COM>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 21:49:14 -0600

>Can anyone recommend reading on hybridizing P. x hortorum?  Also, would
>like to do some reading on the plant chromosomes, and on fertile and
>infertile florets.
>Hope someone can help.
>Sandy Connerley

Well, I'm no authority but have done a fair amount of hybridizing with
miniatures and dwarfs.  After that, anything must be easier!
The Kew Gardening Guide 'Pelargoniums' has a description of hybridizing,
and so does 'Miniature and Dwarf Geraniums' by Harold Bagust.  There are
doubtless other sources, but the clearest and simplest directions I found
was in an article by Bill Tufenkian "Zonal Geraniums From Seed" in the
Spring 1989 issue of the IGS "Geraniums Around the World".  Maybe you can
hunt it down or request the issue from the Society.

It's not hard, just a picky job.  You largely learn by doing.  Some hybrids
have fertile pollen but do not make fertile seed (or any seed).  Also
vice-versa.  This you soon learn by experience.  Record-keeping is
essential.  A list of potentially fertile v. infertile cultivars and
hybrids would be highly useful but I have no idea whether one has ever been
compiled.  I imagine all the species are inter-fertile, though not
necessarily with hybrids.  However as I've said I'm no expert; my little
knowledge is strictly rule of thumb.